Wednesday, December 29, 2010

That's my chili

Brrrr it's cold outside.  Let's warm up with a big ol' pot of chili.  I've been trying to find a chili recipe for years that me and my family likes (except my mom, she doesn't like anything but meat in her chili).  Okay, I finally developed one myself.  Boy does it have everything in it and it sure is yummy!


yep...that's corn

That’s My Chili
  
Ingredients:

1
Red bell pepper - chopped
1
Sweet onion - chopped
2lb
Chili meat
1
Can each: Light and Dark Red Kidney beans – drained and rinsed
1
Can corn – drained and rinsed
3
Cans diced tomatoes (one can being fire roasted)
1
Package chili seasoning
1
Can beef broth
1
Can water
½ Tbsp
Paprika
1 Tsp
Each: chili powder, onion flakes, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes
½ Tsp
Each: oregano and thyme

Olive oil

Directions:
1.  Brown meat in large Dutch oven, drain fat and remove meat from pot
2.  Add 2 tbsp of olive oil to pot and sweat onion and bell pepper until translucent.
3.  Add remaining ingredients to pot. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer.  Cover, simmer for 10 minutes.  Reduce heat medium-low to low and cook for 3-4 hours.  You don't want it to be boiling during cook time but just below simmer.



You're probably wondering about the corn.  I like corn and I like corn in chili.  I think it give little hits of sweet that is refreshing against the spice from the rest of the chili.  Remember, it's always better the next day.  I've made enough here that I'll be freezing at least 2 servings worth for those cold nights when I don't have time to cook chili but want some. 

EDIT: my recipes are always changing to my taste.  I made it again yesterday and added 1 can of tomato sauce and another package of chili seasoning mix.  I also didn't used the addition spices, just the 2 packages of mix. 

No comments:

Post a Comment